VAWA – Violence Against Women Act

VAWA-Immigration lawyer for domestic violence in Colorado​

Immigration lawyer for domestic violence in Colorado

In the United States, violence against women is on the rise, placing the country among the top ten where women are most at risk of being sexually assaulted, with an average of three femicides per day. Every minute, 24 women suffer physical violence from their ex-partner nationwide, totaling approximately 12 million per year.

One in four women in the U.S. is a victim of physical violence, regardless of their appearance, age, religion, or immigration status.

It’s important to note that men can also experience abuse from their partners, but often do not report it due to prejudice or difficulties in seeking police assistance.

In the United States, around 1 in 7 men, regardless of their sexual orientation, has experienced physical violence, psychological abuse, or harassment from their partner in recent years, especially since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Many migrant women and men are abused or threatened with immigration calls, denial of documents, or being prohibited from learning English, working, getting an education, or having sexual relationships.

What is the Protection against violence for immigrant women and men program?

The VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) is a law in the United States that helps victims of domestic and gender-based violence by allowing them to seek immigration status without relying on the abuser. It was created for battered spouses, children and parents of U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Who can apply for VAWA?

  • Spouses: You may file an application for yourself if you are or were the abused spouse of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. U.S. citizen or permanent resident. 
  • Parents: You may file an application if you are the parent of a U.S. citizen and have been abused by your U.S. citizen child. abused by your U.S. citizen son or daughter.
  • Children: You may file an application for yourself if you are an abused child under 21 years of age,you are unmarried and have been abused by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident parent.

Can I apply for a self-petition to obtain my VAWA?

To be eligible you need these requirements:

  • If you were subjected to assault or extreme cruelty by your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident relative during the qualifying relationship. (If you are filing as a spouse, you may also be eligible if your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse subjected your child to assault or extreme cruelty)
  • If you reside or have resided with your abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident relative
  • If you are a person of good moral character.

What do you need to get a VAWA permit?

  • Evidence of the relationship and abuse: You must show proof of your relationship with the abusive person and the abuse suffered. This can be marriage certificates, police reports, orders of protection, medical records, witness statements, etc.
  • Waiver of co-petition: You do not need the abuser’s cooperation to apply for or obtain VAWA approval.
  • Proof of bona fide marriage: If you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen or resident, you must show that your marriage was genuine and was not entered into solely to obtain immigration benefits.
  • Interview and adjudication process: After submitting the application and evidence, you may have an interview with a USCIS officer to review your case. If approved, you can adjust your status to permanent resident.

How do I know if I am eligible for VAWA protection?

If you have suffered domestic violence by your partner, parents or children and are considering filing a petition under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), it is advisable to seek specific legal guidance with us to determine your viability, as each case may have different circumstances and requirements. We will always be willing to help you, as no one deserves to be abused.


Immigration lawyer for domestic violence in Colorado

If you suffer from Domestic Violence these lines can help you:


What type of public benefits can apply to the VAWA program?

Foto de Nadine Shaabana en Unsplash

Employment Authorization:

Upon approval of a VAWA petition, the petitioner may be eligible to receive employment authorization and an Employment Authorization Document.

Getting a Green Card:

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows both women and men who have been victims of physical or mental domestic abuse to apply for a Green Card without the help of their abuser.

How long would it take to process my VAWA?

It may take 2 years and 2 months or 6 months to process.*

If you file a green card application at the same time as the VAWA petition, the process may take an additional 12 months.

*(The above times may vary by USCIS offices and are not dependent on the Buffet Izaguirre Law Firm).

Come to us if you think VAWA is for you or if you have experienced domestic violence. We all deserve to be treated with dignity and humanity.

Report domestic violence.


The content of this blog is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal consultation or recommendation. It is always advisable to consult with an immigration attorney to analyze your particular case and provide you with the possible options for which you are eligible. 

Citizenship Immigration Lawyer in Colorado

If you are in the United States, call us to arrange your immigration status!

Habla con un asesor